Total Engine Control (TEC)
The new TEC system represents the current in state-of-the-art fuel injection and direct ignition control integrated into one revolutionary package. The TEC products are PC-programmable engine control systems featuring a powerful Windows-based tuning environment. Converting from carburetion to fuel injection has never been easier than with TEC. Whether you choose to run throttle body injection, multi-port, or individual throttle bodies, TEC will provide you with the ability to tune your engine to its peak capabilities.
Street enthusiasts will enjoy the benefits of a ‘distributorless’ ignition system that not only is infinitely adjustable, accurate, and powerful, but also gives you improved firewall clearance and freedom from all those ignition amplification boxes that you used to run in the past. If you are running an aggressive profile camshaft, idle control has always proven to be problematic for lesser engine management systems, but not for TEC. Within the WinTEC software resides our exclusive ‘TPS/MAP Idle Blend’ table. With a few clicks of the keyboard, you will enjoy an idle quality that other engine management systems only dream of having.
For competition and ultra high output engines, the sophistication and power of the TEC system simply out-performs other production and aftermarket systems. With full control of the engine over all possible operating conditions, outputs that will control nitrous, boost, VTEC, and other devices, new rev-limiters with ‘Triple Smooth’ technology, and On-Board Data Acquisition, TEC products give you Total Engine Control...and make the competition green with envy!
The TEC Engine Control Unit
The new TEC ECUs incorporate the winning features of our previous TEC-2 system while adding an abundance of new features and a powerful new processing platform. Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) control and patented digital Direct Ignition control is standard hardware for every TEC kit. The anodized, laser-etched ECU with waterproof OEM style connectors and harness may be mounted under the hood or in the passenger compartment and will activate separate multi-coil DFU’s (Direct Fire Units) mounted adjacent to (or on) the engine.
Standard features built in to the TEC:
- PC programmable and configurable for 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, cyl. engines and Rotories with a 12 cyl.and 6 cyl dual plug option
- Operate in Open or Closed loop
- Run True Sequential with individual cylinder trim, Phased Sequential or Simultaneous Injection
- Configurable for TBI, MPI, TPI and individual throttle bodies
- Additional Injector Output Drivers built-in.. GT and 3R can run Low or High impedance injectors
- Full 150 mJ of Spark Energy directly to the plugs without misfire
- New Dual Rev Limiters with ‘Triple Smooth Technology’
- 1st step retards timing to a negative -12º degrees
- 2nd step cuts coil current in half
- 3rd step coil current and fuel are cut-off
- All three steps occurring within milliseconds!
- Wastegate (Boost Control), Nitrous Control with up to 4 stage retard available
- Programmable GPO’s (General Purpose Outputs) to control or activate VTEC, Shift Lights, Water Pumps and Fans, A/C Compressor, Torque Converter and more.
- New Programmable Adjustable Electronic Tachometer Output
- Uses primarily GM type sensors
- Diagnostic monitoring with codes issued
- Easy to install bolt-on Trigger Wheel and Mag Sensor Kits available for many applications
- RPM capabilities to 20,000
- Made in the USA
On-Board Data Recording
- Adjustable Sample Rates up to 25 samples of all channels per second Simultaneously including:
- Air/fuel Ratios
- Injector Duty Cycle and Pulse Width
- RPM and Throttle Position
- Gear Position
- Boost (manifold pressure)
- and much more!
- View Multiple Data Graphs side by side or Graphs may be overlayed for comparison Graphic Screen Displays may be Printed
- Graphic Screen Displays may be Printed and Data may also be exported to a Spreadsheet program for further analysis
- Data Logging can be started and stopped manually using a switch, or the system can be configured to automatically start and stop via values pre-set by the user
- Crank Triggered Multiple Coil Direct Fire Is the Most Accurate and Delivers the Longest Spark Duration
- Powerful WinTEC Software Includes ‘Tuning Wizard’ for fast Start-ups
- On-Board Data Aquisition records vital Engine and Chassis information
- Activate Nitrous, Turbo Boost, VTEC, Shift Light, Cooling Fans and more
- Built-in additional Configurable Injector Outputs
- New Dual RPM Limiters with ‘Triple Smooth’ Technology for the Softest Rev Limit
Supported TEC Engine Configurations
Feature Comparison of TEC systems
|4-Stroke||1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 12 cylinder||1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8 cylinder||1,2 and 4 cylinder||BMW e36 6-cylinder, including M3|
|2-Stroke||1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 cylinder||1, 2, 3,and 4 cylinder||1 and 2 cylinder||-|
|Rotary||1, 2, 3 Rotor (leading and trailing)||1, 2 Rotor (leading and trailing)||1 and 2 Rotor (no split timing)||-|
|Coil Drivers||6 - Inductive (no external drivers required)||4 - Inductive (no external drivers required)||2 - Inductive (no external drivers required||6 - Inductive (no external drivers required)|
|Injector Channels||8 Peak and Hold||6 Peak and Hold||4 Saturated||6 Peak and Hold|
|General Purpose Outputs||4 Channels - 2 for PWM output||8 Channels* - Any two available for PWM||5 Channels** - 3 can be for PWM||4 Channels - Supports many BMW specific functions|
|General Purpose Inputs||4 Channels - 2 available as speed input||8 Channels* - 1 available as speed input||3 Channels** - 1 available as speed input||7 Channels - Supports many BMW specific functions (including Speed input)|
|* 9 Input/Output channels total, 1 for Input only, 1 for Output only and 7 for input or output|
|** 5 Input/Output channels total, 3 for input or output, 2 Output only Channels (used in 4 cylinder Sequential as Injector Drivers)|